Timothy Eaton Memorial Church Professor of Preaching
MDIV Hanshin Graduate School of Theology, Hanshin University
ThD Emmanuel College, University of Toronto
- Tel.: (416) 585-4541
- Email: email@example.com
Teaching & Research Interests
Committed to an interdisciplinary approach to homiletics in practical theology, her teaching and research address various topics related to biblical interpretation, postcolonial theories, feminist homiletics and liturgy, migration, and decolonizing practices. Her current research focuses on connecting climate crisis with preaching. She is working on a book manuscript on preaching in the United Church of Canada as its centennial project for 2025. As a recipient of The Rowntree Scholarship at The United Church of Canada Foundation (2019), she has undertaken intercultural preaching research using an intersectional methodological approach to race, gender, and multiple identities of the preacher and the congregations.
- Practical Theology Amid Environmental Crises (2022, co-edited with Pam McCarroll)
- Postcolonial Preaching: Creating a Ripple Effect (Lexington, 2021)
- Interdependence: A Postcolonial Feminist Practical Theology (Pickwick, 2018)
- Story and Song: A Postcolonial Interplay between Christian Education (Peter Lang, 2012)
- Mission and Migration: The Changing Mission Goals of The United Church of Canada and the Mission of Koreans Within It (Daeganggan, 2019) (coauthor with Don Schweitzer)
- What Does the Bible Say? In Conversation with Popular Culture (Cascade, 2017) (coauthor with Mary Ann Beavis)
- 2 Thessalonians: Wisdom Commentary (Liturgical Press 2016) (coauthor with Mary Ann Beavis)
- The Authority and Interpretation of Scripture in The United Church of Canada (Daeganggan, 2016) (coauthor with Don Schweitzer)
- Hebrews: Wisdom Commentary (Liturgical Press, 2015) (coauthor with Mary Ann Beavis): A book award by the Catholic Press Association 2016
- The Encounters: Retelling the Bible from Migration and Intercultural Perspectives (Daeganggan, 2013) (coauthor with EunYoung Choi)
- Religion and Migration: Negotiating Hospitality, Vulnerability and Agency (EVA, 2019) (coedited with Andrea Bieler, Isolde Karle and Ilona Nord)
- Reading In Between (Pickwick, 2019) (coedited with Néstor Medina and Alison Hari-Singh)
Selected Peer-reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- “Preaching Addressing Environmental Crises through the Use of Scripture: An Exploration of a Practical Theological Methodology” Religions: Practical Theology Amid Environmental Crises, Special Edition (2022)
- “Holy Scripture / Hermeneutical Practice / Oral Literature.” In International Handbook of Practical Theology: A Transcultural and Transreligious Approach, Birgit Weyel, Wilhelm Gräb, Emmanuel Y. Lartey, Cas Wepener, eds., 495-507, Berlin: De Gruyter, 2022.
- “Liberating Power of Unmasking Whiteness in Preaching.” In Unmasking White Preaching,Racial Hegemony, Resistance, and Possibilities in Homiletics. Lis Valle and Andrew Wymer, eds. 127-140. Lanham: Lexington, 2022.
- “Invisibility of Whiteness in Homiletics.” The Homiletic 46: 1 (2021): 28-39.
- “Stings like a Sunburn: A sermon for Emmanuel College during the COVID 19 Pandemic.” Canadian Journal of Theology Mental Health and Disability Vol.1 (2021): 73-77.
- “Preaching in a Post-Truth Era: Its Critical Task.” International Journal for Homiletics. 4 (2020): 88-102.
- “Unfinished and Unfolding Tasks of Preaching: Interdisciplinary, Intercultural, and Interreligious Approaches in the Postcolonial Context of Migration,” Homiletic: The Journal of the Academy of Homiletics 44:2 (2019): 4-17.
- "Home, Hospitality, and Preaching: A Need for the Homiletical Engagement of Migration." In Migration and Religion: Negotiating Sites of Hospitality, Resistance, and Vulnerability. Andrea Bieler, Isolde Karle, HyeRan Kim-Cragg, and Ilona Nord, eds., 233-245. Leipzig: Eva, 2019.
- EMP 1301 Introduction to Homiletics
- EMP 5307 Critical Issues in Preaching: Postmodern and Postcolonial Approaches
- EMP 3353/6353 Anti-Racist Preaching and Community Engagement
- EMP 1431 Introduction to Faith Formation and Christian Education
She is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK) and has served in pastoral, teaching, and intercultural leadership capacities with the United Church of Canada for the past twenty years.
- North American Academy of Homiletics
- North American Academy of Liturgy
- International Academy of Practical Theology
Religious Education Association
- Dean of Global Institute of Theology, the World Communion of Reformed Churches (WCRC)
- Co-Moderator of Theology Reference Group for the WCRC
- Member of the Forum for Intercultural Leadership and Learning (FILL) of the Canadian Council of Churches (CCC)